Return to application instructions >
For more information on the fellowship program >
The Rosalynn Carter Fellowships for Mental Health Journalism
Before You Begin:
In order to access the Rosalynn Carter Fellowships for Mental Health Journalism application, you must establish a user account by clicking the “Begin Application” button at the bottom of this page. You will be prompted to create a user name and password, and provide a valid email address. Your user account will give you the option to save and continue your application at a later date, as well as check the status of your applicant file after your application has been submitted. Please be aware that once you submit your application, you will be unable to do any additional editing.
Required Documents by April 10:
- Essay: An informal essay (1000 words or less) for the fellowship and a description of your project (uploaded as a PDF).
- Resume: Your resume must be submitted (uploaded as a PDF). Please include a list of representative publications, memberships in professional organizations, major journalism prizes and/or awards and year awarded.
- Three work samples: Three samples of your professional work (uploaded as a PDF). At least one of the samples should be in the media form proposed for your project. Do not submit an item that cannot be replaced. Materials cannot be returned. Please note that it is not required for the work samples submitted to be mental health pieces.
- Articles should be in the original format published or scans of the originals. If the project link remains active, you may go ahead and place the link on a PDF document for upload.
- For audio samples, you may upload .mp3 files. File sizes must be no larger than 40MB.
- For video samples, files must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, or another web video platform. Next, please create a PDF document with the links to your videos. Upload the PDF document as a work sample.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation from people familiar with the applicant's work. Recommenders should comment on the applicant's abilities and potential as a journalist. Recommenders will be asked to submit their letters online once the applicant has completed the application process. Recommendation letters are due no later than April 24, 2019.
- One letter of Support:
- If you are a journalist employed by a media outlet, please submit one name, title, email address, and phone number of your organization’s publisher, editor, producer, manager, or director who will write a letter of support on your behalf recognizing your fellowship. Preference will be given to those applicants with letters from editors or publishers that indicate a clear interest and strong likelihood to publish or broadcast the fellowship project. This individual will be asked to submit his or her letter online once the applicant has completed the application process. The letter of support is due no later than April 24, 2019.
- If you are self-employed, this letter should be a third letter of recommendation that must come from an individual familiar with your work. The applicant must follow the directions above for letters of recommendation. Your supporter will follow the same procedures to submit your letter as your recommenders. The letter is due Wednesday, April 24, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
As the applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that your references submit their letters in a timely manner. An application is not considered complete until all three letters are received.
Throughout the process you will receive two emails. The first email will notify you that you have submitted your application. The second email will notify you when your application is complete with all three reference letters submitted. Please check your spam/junk email folders to ensure that you do not miss the email and encourage your references to do the same.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email email@example.com.
If you have any technical questions regarding the application website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.